Digital dentistry refers to the use of dental technologies or devices that incorporates digital or computer-controlled components to carry out dental procedures rather than using mechanical or electrical tools. The use of digital dentistry can make carrying out dental procedures more accurate, efficient than using mechanical tools, both for restorative as well as for diagnostic purposes.
Digital dentistry can be use for:
- Fabricating a veneer, crown or bridge in just ONE DAY. So, patient can have a crown done and cemented in his/her mouth on the same day, without the need of 2 visits or multiple injections or temporary prosthesis.
- Planning of teeth movement in orthodontic patient. After planning, a series of teeth models will be printed out where the vacumme-formed aligners will be fabricate for patient to wear. This aligners will move the teeth as planned and achieve final result.
- Planning and creating a new smile for patient in digital smile design. By changing the teeth colour and alignment in the computer, both clinician and patient can immediately appreciate the outcome of the smile design. From there, clinician can give several treatment options for the patient to achieve the final result.
- Surgical guide for implant placement – making implant surgery safe and precise
Digital dentistry basically involved 3 basic steps:
- data acquisition
- data manipulation and analysis; and finally
We need to collect data or information from patient to start the outflow in the digital dentistry, for example:
- Dental and Face images. Good image of the teeth or oral cavity region, patient’s smile or portrait picture of patient are essential data for planning digital smile design (DSD). These information can be obtained using a SLR Camera in the Photo Studio environment.
- Intra-oral 3D scan. With a Intra-oral scanner (such as 3hape scanner), 3D images of the oral cavity region can be record and save in the computer.
- CT-scan or 3D image of the teeth and jaw bone of patient mouth. Cone Beam CT (CBCT) is the radiograph unit acquire the data. With CT-scan